Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Preaching for the First Time



This entire summer, I knew that I would have to preach. Admittedly, I was really concerned about this day. I have never preached in my entire life. I have watched my friends preach, but I have never done it myself. Certainly, I could never do such a thing! However, during the middle of July, I preached. Yes, I did it! Well actually God empowered me to do it! Indeed, God is so faithful.

On the actual day of preaching, I really thought I was not going to make it. The fear began to creep up into my stomach and settle into my throat just before I approached the podium. I just knew that I would break down. Amazingly, when I began to read the scripture that my sermon was based on (Romans 7:13-25), I could feel a peaceful and calming strength rushing through my body. This was the strength of the Holy Spirit. I could feel the Holy Spirit doing something in me that I could not do for myself. The feeling was awesome. It was as if I could feel myself being used by God.

I am so thankful that God showed up during my preaching moment. I have learned that if we take a step of faith, God will show up in a mighty way. Truly, I can say thanks be to God!

No comments: