Monday, May 21, 2007

Hello, Lexington

the welcome sign

You may have to click and look closely, but yes, they put my name on the little sign in front of the church. And by the way among the other unnamed "guests" was the Bishop.

A few thoughts on the first two days:
  • I moved in Saturday night, and Sunday morning I showed up for worship and afterwards got to eat a magnificent meal, with fried chicken, countless vegetables, casseroles, and dessert, and of course plenty of sweet tea. I have no idea how I will remember all of the names. No idea. I'm hopeless. The people have been lovely.
  • Bishop McCleskey of the Western North Carolina Conference (UMC) preached a great sermon. It tickled my Anglican ears because it was about the way repetition in prayer and worship gives us a kind of deep memory that we often don't even know we have.
  • I think I will survive with the whole worship-band thing and non-weekly communion. I still think of myself as a sort of "young fogey," but that doesn't mean that I can't respect the place I'm in and find Christ in it.
  • I really like being out in the country, even if I sometimes feel out of place.

2 comments:

Leah Skaggs said...

You are absolutely a young fogey. I think that is great --- home coming ?? I have no idea where it comes from - but I will tell you that I have been going to them most years of my life - at various churches both Methodist and Baptist - and there is always dinner (usually outside - it is called "dinner on the grounds")- and they also clean up the grave yard and add flowers ... I am sure folks did that yesterday at both our churches - but I did not see it happening. There is always sweet tea. Your bishop came to Duke last night. Cool he preached on his way to Durham. Hope you have a great summer - and remember the Wesleys were Anglicans - you will be right at home. Eat some NC bbq for me...it is especially good where you are!!

Emily Sanford, MSW/MDiv, '08 said...

The welcome sign cracks me up! What a wonderful way to dive into the community.