Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Gift of Pentecost

Arlecia D. Simmons, Durham, N.C.

Today as I began my field education placement I was reminded of the transformative power of the Holy Spirit. At 7:35 a.m. I arrived at Mt. Level Missionary Baptist Church and met Dr. William C. Turner,Jr., the pastor and DDS Associate Professor of the Practice of Homiletics. During the fall 2009 semester I enrolled in Dr. Turner’s The Holy Spirit and Ministry class, so our conversation naturally began by acknowledging the day as Pentecost Sunday. “And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire,” Turner said reciting Acts 2:3. “Amen!” I responded, recognizing that I would need this same power to guide me during the next 10 weeks of service.

I served as lector during the first service and fellowshipped with members during the breakfast preceding Sunday School. After attending the 10:45 a.m. service I journeyed with the youth department to Frankie’s Fun Park. Those two experiences outside of the pulpit reminded me that “ministry” is always taking place. We are ministering and being ministered to when we listen to a senior talk about canning and pruning a tree to bear more fruit, or when we are present with a group of teenagers during a game of Laser Tag. During the trip I asked the young people about their hopes and dreams, and we discussed how they could accomplish their goals. One of the students prayed before we departed and another prayed upon our return. I was thankful that I could join in on those prayers and sense the presence of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: