Monday, May 24, 2010

The Sun is Still Rising

Jonathan Andersen, Atlanta, Ga.

Rising of the Sun

Psalm 113:3, "From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD's name is to be praised."

I sat under this stained glass window yesterday during my first time worshiping at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church in Atlanta, GA. The image of the sun rising daily serves as a strong reminder to me of God's faithfulness to humanity and my need to praise God on a daily basis as well.

Throughout this summer I will preach from a pulpit for the first time, accompany middle schoolers on a mission trip, visit the sick in the hospital, teach the church about Twitter, serve the homeless of Atlanta, and much more. These opportunities for ministry seem exciting yet overwhelming to me at the same time. I know I cannot succeed in any of them by my own power and abilities. Fortunately, God the Father has sent the Holy Spirit who enables us to be powerful witnesses to the saving work of Jesus throughout the world (Acts 1:8). As the sun rises on this new experience in my life I ask for your prayers as I serve in this new place and continue to discern God's call upon my life. I'll be keeping you posted on how its going with some good stories, photographs, laughs, and tears along the way.

No comments: